Thousands Tell PM to Quit

Article @ Morning Star, published 11 April 2016

Hastily organised protests demanding David Cameron’s resignation following the Panama Papers revelations brought thousands of people onto the streets of Britain at the weekend.

Demonstrators gathered in the centre of Glasgow and Manchester and in front of Downing Street in London, later marching on a hotel where the Prime Minister had just publicly acknowledged mishandling the crisis.

The demonstrations, labelled #ResignCameron on social media, came less than 24 hours after the Prime Minister admitted that he had benefited from shares in his father’s Blairmore Holdings fund, once registered in a tax haven.

Teenager Lily Douglas sat down outside No 10 with her school friends for most of Saturday afternoon because they wanted “David Cameron out of the government.”

She told the Star: “He’s a rubbish Prime Minister.

“He doesn’t listen to his constituency, he doesn’t show any respect for the working class.

“We’re here because of cuts to our services, cuts to our education, cuts to our jobs, cuts to our disability services — it’s a horrible life to live.

“We don’t want him in there, we want someone who is actually going to respect us and represent us.”

The London demonstration moved between Westminster and the Connaught Rooms, where the Conservatives’ spring forum was taking place.

While protesters besieged the hotel, crying out: “We pay taxes, why won’t you?” Mr Cameron admitted he “could have handled this better” in what had not been “a great week.”

Green Party council candidate Alastair Binnie-Lubbock came to the protest in a floral shirt, shorts and sandals in tune with the “Panama” theme.

He said: “We can’t wait until 2020 for [the Tories] to be out of office because they are just going to try and sell everything off and there won’t be anything left for the people.

“They say we need to have all these cuts to public services, but actually they are just hiding money away in tax havens.”

The London protests went on well into the early evening, when the Metropolitan Police made three arrests, including two on “suspicion of breaching a dispersal notice.”